Job Title: Trimmer/Climber
This position trims, tops, and reshapes trees to remove low-hanging, dead, and excess branches, providing clearance for utility powerlines.
Are you a real go-getter looking for an amazing opportunity with a nationwide full-service-utility contractor offering competitive wages and incredible benefits? Keep reading because this job might be for you!
Since 1928, Asplundh has been dedicated to safe, efficient and innovative line clearance services to the utility industry. Reliable, uninterrupted power is an important service provided by the world’s electrical utilities and Asplundh has the expertise to help keep the power flowing. Diversification over the years has opened up vegetation management services to other specialized markets such as municipalities, railroads, pipelines, helicopter vegetation services, and departments of transportation.
A family-owned and operated corporation headquartered near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Asplundh has grown to employ over 33,000 service professionals throughout the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
Job Type: Full-Time +, Non-Exempt
Pay: Competitive, Hourly
- Company Sponsored Retirement Plan
- Health Insurance (Medical/Dental/Vision)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Life, long-term/short-term disability insurances
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Trims and/or removes trees, branches, trunk sections
- Operate and service all required tools/equipment.
- Cuts and splits large debris into manageable pieces.
- Sprays areas with equipment to prevent further growth.
- Loads/unloads trucks.
- Feeds brush & debris into wood chipper.
- Repairs minor job-related damage to lawns, fences, and walkways.
- Services gasoline, air, and hand-powered tools and other equipment.
- Relays hand signals, directs traffic, drives, and operates trucks and equipment, as assigned.
- Keeps trucks and work area clear and orderly.
- Safeguards employees and public from hazards in and around work area.
- Cooperates with customer, police, and fire departments when blocking street or driveways.
- Sets up barriers, warning signs, flags, markers, etc. to protect employees and public.
- Trained to perform tree and bucket rescue.
- Assists training new employees.
- Assumes responsibility for the inspection and proper working conditions of tools, truck, and other work equipment.
- Requests repair or replacement, when necessary.
- Maintains good housekeeping on truck and at work locations.
- Performs other related work, as assigned by superiors.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must be able to work with hands above head for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to walk, climb, and work from ladders, or at various heights, on uneven and slippery surfaces, performing mentally/physically demanding work under unfavorable weather conditions while handling equipment or material.
- No fear of heights.
- Must have good hand-to-eye coordination.
Education & Experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Entry-level position, no experience required.
- Previous experience a plus.
- Upon offer, employees may be required to complete and pass a pre-employment drug screen, background and/or MVR check.
License & Certifications:
- Driver’s License Preferred, but not required.
- RARE (less than 10%): Sitting, Kneeling, Crawling, Color Vision, Climbing Stairs
- OCCASIONAL (up to 33%): Stooping, Squatting, Climbing On/Off Truck, Climbing Ladders, Pushing, Reading,
- FREQUENT (up to 66%): Carrying, Pulling, Lifting up to 50 lbs., Balancing, body-twisting, Hearing/Speech Range, Lifting, Lifting up to 10 lbs., Manual Dexterity, Speaking Clearly, Walking
- CONTINUOUS (up to 100%): Standing, Sense of Touch, Gripping, Seeing Distant, Reaching, range-of-motion, Depth Perception, Lifting over 10 lbs. to 50 lbs., Climbing Poles, Sense of Touch
Due to the inherently dangerous nature of the industry and requirements to work with or around hazardous equipment, employees must have sufficient eyesight to judge distance/coordination of equipment and tools, be able to maintain attention and concentration for extended periods of time, be able to withstand exposure to all kinds of weather while completing work assignments, be able to wear personal protective equipment as necessary, be able to enter and exit a vehicle numerous times a day, have the endurance necessary to traverse various terrain, be capable of performing job duties throughout a standard 8- or 10-hour day, be able to communicate with others, read, write, and comprehend written/verbal job instructions and information, and communicate and handle conflict professionally.
As a full-service utility contractor Asplundh performs tree pruning and removals, right-of-way clearing and maintenance, vegetation management with herbicides and emergency storm work and logistical support. Asplundh is the parent company of UtiliCon Solutions whose subsidiaries provide overhead and underground line construction, planning and design, meter reading and AMR/AMI installation, electrical testing, and street lighting/traffic signal services. Asplundh also operates Rotor Blade Airborne Utilities Management, overhead electric distribution and transmission lines using MD 500 helicopters.
Individuals must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation. Individuals with a disability who desire a reasonable accommodation should contact the ADA Coordinator at 1-800-248-8733, ext. 1339.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you want to view the EEO is the Law poster, please choose your language: – – –
If you want to view the EEO is the Law Supplement poster, please choose your language: – –
If you want to view the Pay Transparency Policy Statement, please click the link: