To assist the Chef and Sous Chef in the daily planning and production of all meals served from the kitchen.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and /or ability required for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Basic cooking skills & techniques in all existing kitchen stations: Salads, Desserts, Broiler/Grill, Sauce/Sauté, Fryer and Vegetables
- Full knowledge of Culinary school Cook Book
- Basic overview of all kitchen stations
- Advanced overview of a single station
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills such as describing daily specials, writing prep list
- Good knowledge of Meat and Fish cooking temperature and stages of doneness
- Basic knowledge of large volume food preparation
- Basic knowledge of Cakes & Individual Pastries
- Basic knowledge of Garde Manger plate & platter presentation, Fruits and Vegetables carvings
- Must know how to clean, fillet, marinate and properly store most Fishes
- Must know how to clean, bone, tie, portion, marinate and store most prime cut meat & poultry
- Good food portioning skills
- Basic knowledge of American regional cooking
- Some knowledge of international cooking techniques and basic recipes
- Basic recipe knowledge in Meats, Fish, Vegetables, Fruits, Stocks & Sauce preparations
- Basic food purchasing & receiving knowledge. Must know how to read an invoice & to write a requisition
- Basic knowledge of accounting procedures such as inventories, recipe and menu costing
- Be able to understand Point of Sale system & apply the technique
- Some leadership knowledge
- Must be able to coach and assist all cook 3
- Basic knowledge of kitchen cleaning chemicals
- Basic kitchen organizational skills
- Intrinsic desire to become a Culinarian in all aspects
Supervisory Responsibilities (if applicable):
Able to work as and when required, covering and helping supervise during the Chef or Sous Chef absence
Enforce the O.R.C Standards for quality, presentation and consistency
Help guide fellows Cook 2 and train Cook 3
Help plan and organize daily production
Education and/or Experience:
Three years (Hands-on) experience as an Apprentice or Cook 3 in a la carte Continental Restaurant
Must be able to comprehend, read, write and speak the English language in order to communicate with co-workers and fully understand job assignments.
Basic knowledge in solids and liquids measurement units
Must be able to convert units of measures
Must be able to add, subtract, multiply and divide
Basic Food costing knowledge
Must be able to work under pressure and still remain calm
Must be able to maintain physical and verbal composure during crisis times
Must be able to respond efficiently and adequately during an emergency
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations:
American Culinary Federation certified Cook/Culinarian
State Food Handler Certification
Knowledge of C.P.R or First Aid
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Sample physical requirements might include:
· Must be able to carry up to 50 pounds
· Must be able to stand for long periods of time with minimum walking
· Must be able to hand lift up to 20 pounds on regular basis
· Must be able to work in confined spaces on regular basis
· Must be able to reach, grab and lift objects over shoulder height
· Must be able to squat and kneel down on regular basis
· Must be able to bend & twist upper body to reach up, down or side-ways on regular basis
· Must be able to maintain a fast walking pace and hand movement as required by job
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Occasionally works in outside weather conditions
· Noise level in the work environment is usually high
· Required to operate and work with high heat cooking equipment such as and not limited to: Broilers, Salamanders, Grills, Open Gas Ranges, Steamers, Convection Ovens, Fryers, Tilting Skillets and Kettles
· Exposure to freezing temperatures for short period of times in Walk-in Refrigerators and Freezers is usually high
· Required periodically to use sharp cutting tools or objects such as and not limited to: Hand Knives, Electric Cutting Blades, Cutting Wheels or Saw, Chopping and Grounding machines
· Regularly operate heavy electric equipment such as and not limited to: Large Power Mixers, Hand held Mixers, Blenders, Slicers, Peelers, Washing Machine
· Required to produce food in a timely manner under heavy volumes and limited space
· Regularly works with fellow associates from a foreign country of origin with other native languages than English
Attendance, Appearance and Conduct:
Regular attendance in conformance with the standards, which may be established by Ocean Reef Club from time to time, is essential to the successful performance of this position. Associates with irregular attendance will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry and report deadlines, associate may be required to work varying schedules to meet the business needs of the Club and report deadlines.
Proper grooming is required by all associates and is described in detail in the Associates Handbook. Associates should review this policy and make sure that at all times they present themselves for shifts looking clean, neat and professional.
As a condition of employment, all associates agree to fully comply with Ocean Reef Club rules and regulations for the safe and efficient operation of Club facilities. Associates who violate Club rules and regulations will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment. If you have any questions or doubts you should seek clarification from your supervisor.
Job descriptions are not intended and should not be construed to be exhaustive lists of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with a job. While this job description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the requirements of the job, management must reserve the right to add or remove duties from particular jobs when circumstances (e.g. emergencies, change is workload, rush jobs or technological developments) dictate.